For those whom a week expedition to Son Doong cave – the world’s biggest cave – is too much, this new 2-day combination ‘Hang Va & Hang Nuoc Nut’ expedition tour can be a perfect alternative for your short holiday.
What we’ll do :
The adventure level of Hang Va Expedition is moderate-to-hard for anyone who considers themselves physically fit and who participates in regular outdoor activities. Please make sure that your health is suitable for these activities before taking part in the expedition.
• 10 km jungle and mountain trekking, rocky terrain
• 3 km caving in river caves (cold water, 17 degrees Celsius, waist deep)
• Elevation gain is 150 m (between road and mountain top)
• 20 m traverse using rope and harness
• 2 days and 1 night in jungle and caves
Any member of the Oxalis guide team reserves the right to turn around any person at any time without compensation or refund as deemed necessary for safety or conservation reasons.
What we’ll provide :
We will provide you with the following:
• Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, gloves, harness
• Camping gear: tent(with mosquito net), camp light, sleeping bag, mattresses & pillow
• Semi dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics) for inside your backpack
• Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 - 46
• Meals: picnic lunches, BBQ dinner (day 1), breakfast (day 2)
• Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
• Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare meals
• Shared dry box for phones and small cameras ((20cm x 15cm or 22cm x 20cm and limited availability for larger cameras)
• Water filter and purifier (used only by guide and porters)
• Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using Western toilet seat
• First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only)
Where we’ll be :
Tour Starts: 8:00 am – 8:30 am from any local hotel in Phong Nha
Tour Ends: 5:00 pm – 5:30 pm at any local hotel in Phong Nha
Please also bring with you the following:
• 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
• 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes – difficult terrain, good footwear necessary. Gore-Tex/waterproof boots are NOT recommended as they do not drain well (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
• 2 pair of calf-length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
• 1 backpack to hold personal items
• 1 pair of flip flops (sandals) for campsite
• 1 small towel
• 1 set of camp clothes (shorts are okay for around camp; please bring a fleece in winter)
• 1 change of clothes for after the tour
• Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries
If you are trekking in the colder months (December – March) please bring additional warm clothes for the evening and an extra change of long pants and shirt for swimming.
While not physically connected to Son Doong, Hang Nuoc Nut and Hang Va are part of Son Doong cave system based on their shared water flow. Some explorers even commented that the stalactites and stalagmites in Hang Va are even more beautiful and extraordinary (see pictures below) than Son Doong cave, but you should see and feel it yourself.
These caves were found recently in 2012. To be one of the people who put early human steps into the caves, you will have to hike, stoop through the entrance, use ropes and cross some rivers including the ones inside the caves.
But don’t worry, we provide the very best adventure experiences with every aspects of the trip are carefully planned including delicious meals, the highest safety standards, and friendly and informative adventure guides.
Come and enjoy unique and unforgettable experiences in the caves with our dedicated adventure tours. Although this tour operates 3 times per week, the maximum capacity is only 8 people per tour, so please book in advance because available places will be filled very quickly.
Note: Unexpected changes on itinerary might happen due to the weather conditions.
Day 1: Phong Nha - Hang Nuoc Nut - Hang Va (jungle camp) For your convenience, we will pick you up at your hotel in Phong Nha between 8:00 – 8:30 am and drive to Oxalis Headquarters. At Oxalis Headquarters, you will collect your gear, listen to a tour briefing and please be noted that you need to sign our Release Form before driving 45 minutes through the National Park to the trailhead. From the trailhead, we will enter the jungle and hike to the entrance of Hang Nuoc Nut. Here we put on our Petzl helmets and Hope Technology 1500 lumen head lamps. Once inside the low opening, the cave enlarges dramatically and we explore the high-level series with excellent photographic opportunities. We have a picnic lunch with ice cold drinks provided before setting off in the cave for around 2 km. Enjoy the beautiful formations, enormous passage and underground river, again with many photographic opportunities.
Leaving the cave, you will trek on a jungle path which, though short, traverses over tough and difficult terrain. The jungle campsite is located at the base of huge cliffs next to the entrance of Hang Va. Camp will be set up and tea/coffee will be supplied as well as a delicious dinner served by our local chef. This is a true jungle camp and a great experience around camp fire listening to the jungle noises.
Day 2: Hang Va - Phong Nha Day 2 is the highlight of the expedition. Before experiencing this fantastic cave, Hang Va, you will have a delicious breakfast at around 8:00 am. First, you will climb down the steep entrance of Hang Va. It can be quite slippery, so move slowly and with care. To ensure your safety, we will have a rope for you to clip into with a harness which will be provided for you. You will continue to wear the harness at all times inside Hang Va Cave. After that, time allowing, there is a chance to swim in a downstream pool inside Hang Va before heading upstream. You will walk most of the time in water flowing through the river passage, climb up and down, and squeeze between the rocks. The water level of the river passage can be as high as chest level, so be ready to be wet for about 4 hours.
When you reach the end of the wet passage, you will need to use the harness again to carefully climb up to the high-level passage. You will be amazed with this high-level area because of its stunning formations, which are really rare throughout the world. In this area, we will have a lot of time to take beautiful images with the support of Hope technology and extra lights designed specifically for photography in Hang Va Cave. Finally, we will head back to the camp, enjoy lunch and at around 2:00 pm, walk back to the road by a different route to the pick-up point. Our driver will take you back to your hotel in Phong Nha by about 5:00 pm.
follow us :
Satisfaction is 100% guaranteed
Affiliate Booking on booking over 10-30% discount ; Join our VIP Club for email only Deals, Coupons, Sales, and more!
Unhappy with your experiences?
We'll Take It Back! We stand by our high-quality products and your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed